Monday 18 January 2010

Relationships

Are complicated.

That isn't obviously earth shattering news and I guess most people go through a fair few in their lives. Personally I don't think I have had that many and, so far there has only been one long-term relationship that I have been involved in so I'm not the worlds expert in this area and the pithy conclusion above is actually quite a step for me.

As it might have been apparent from Twitter and the recent blog posts, Rachel and I are back together. I'm not going to go into the full reasons why, suffice to say that, well, it's complicated! That does sound somewhat negative but again, to me, anything beyond the most simple union is a new thing for me.

From my own personal perspective the last month has involved a lot of learning on my part, I really haven't been able to just rely on my rather simplistic model of life to get me through. I'm not always right for example, and sometimes things are more involved than you expect.

I admit that this is all a big vague and cryptic but I think that the best thing I can learn from all of this is to just try and enjoy every moment you can, not stress out too much about myself or the other person I'm involved with and, most importantly, to TALK. I know this shouldn't be a problem for me but I guess it is. You live and learn :)

2 comments:

Marie said...

Fiona -
I won't go into any detail here, but I can share in many of your sentiments. Many of my relationship issues have been because I've not TALKED.

For me, it was a leftover of my "training" as a "man". I can't tell you the number of times I was admonished to be the "strong silent kind". Little did I know how much that would hurt me later on in my inability to discuss my gender issues with my spouse....

My heart goes out to you, Fiona. Hope that things go better with Rachel. I will be thinking of you.

Elizabeth Marie

Melissa said...

Very good to hear that you are back together. I don't know her, but then again, I don't really know you either. All I know about either of you is what you have written, and the pictures you have posted. She appears to be a very sweet and talented girl. What a shame you two had to miss out on sharing the holidays together. It's hard enough to find, and hold onto that special someone under ordinary circumstances. Well, you can double or triple that effort if you are trans. Kudos for whatever effort it took to get her back!

Melissa XX