Thursday 1 May 2008

The L word

I often realise there are some things in life that I just don't think about and I really should be a little more inquisitive. However, this article on The Register did grab my interest and I had to follow it up with a quick trawl around Wikipedia to find references to Lesbos which is where the word lesbian is derived form and Sappho whose poems were the cause of the association.

I thought it was quite fascinating that a word that is used to describe such a large number of people and is in such common usage today came from such an obscure association. That said, the word "gay" has apparently gone through some tenuous transformations and corruptions to arrive at todays meaning.

Isn't language and the world in general a fascinating place :D

Oh, and I should mention that there is actually a TV show in the US/Canada called "The L Word" which I'd heard of before from a friend on Facebook and must get around to downloading at some point.

No comments: