Tuesday 20 May 2008

Bird Song

Well actually it's "bird music" that I listen to according to one of my colleagues! Must have been "Monday madness" (similar phenomenon to "silly season" aka Summer) or maybe I just had the volume too loud so that what I was listening to was a little too recognisable as music rather than just noise.

So I was rather the centre of attention for a while as my musical taste (or lack of it) was scrutinised which was a bit uncomfortable and felt a little unfair at the time ... for some bizarre reason I had the overwhelming desire to get my 3" heeled boots on - there is something reassuring about footwear that not only gives added height but also the threat of excruciating pain to others if applied appropriately.

Where was I (enough of this bizarre day-dreams about boots!) ... oh yes, music ... well it's hardly surprising that the selection that I listen to may cause questions, it is almost exclusively made up of female artists usually under the category of "singer-songwriter" but I'm a bit of a sucker for "pop" though I try and recover some credibility with a bit of classical music - probably not enough to make a difference!

I do wonder though what really is "male" and "female" music? I think, as with alot of things, there is a much wider variety that someone of the female persuasion can listen to without question but when it comes to men they really have to restrict themselves to what is considered manly.

It's a bit sad that our culture seems to preclude the enjoyment of vast amounts of uplifting, intelligent, thought-provoking, well-written and just plain fantastic music to half the population. Oh well, guess I'll just have to turn the volume down if I don't want to attract attention or better yet up, so people can hear what they are missing.

No comments: