Thursday 3 September 2009

Single Mother on the Verge

This is kind of an intermediate review since I'm only about a quarter of the way through the book and I suppose there are lots more pages to go. But I really am having such an enjoyable read that I thought it was worth mentioning it now.

I have to admit that I had put off reading this as I was concentrating on books that fit more into the fantasy genre for a bit of much needed escapism and fun. I have enjoyed the more biographical titles in the past but I guess I have to be in the right mood.

Anyway, I wish I'd got in the mood for this book sooner; it's funny, interesting, and written in a really accessible (couldn't think of a less pretentious word) style. It's so easy to read, it's almost like each word is carrying so much meaning and imagery that a few sentences are enough to complete make you feel like you're there.

I would highly recommend the book to anyone who wants a witty, interesting, and above all fun read!

I should of course state (as mentioned in a previous post) that a friend of mine actually knows the author (Maria Roberts) and was actually there at the launch event in Manchester so I guess I am ever so slightly biased.

No comments: