Tuesday 12 August 2008

TRANNY!

This was what got shouted at me in Tesco's last night. I obviously did think about it for a while but overall it didn't really bother me that much. I certainly didn't run an hide or feel ashamed or anything like that. I just thought about things to say in retort like "Is that the best you can do?" or "Not very intelligent is it,I mean you would be cleverer if you shouted 'Transexual'?" etc.

Here's what happened: walked into Tesco's and headed straight for the stationary isle (it's harder to get into the ones that are moving - sorry, couldn't resist) and was completely absorbed in what I was doing but picked up someone say "... we'll ask someone, what about her?" as I headed down the row followed by "TRANNY!" as I reached what I was looking for and stopped.

I didn't turn round immediately (I was looking for something and really was concentrating on that and not worrying about what people thought or said about me) and by the time I did look there was no-one there.

Really it hasn't bothered me much as I didn't feel threatened or embarassed or anything like that but I would have liked to opportunity to actually say something in response because clearly anyone that would shout out to anyone pointing out the obvious is both insensitive and frankly below average intelligence. Actually, it's probably good I didn't get to say anything!

What did occur to me is that I was blatantly out: wearing female jeans, blouse (bit non-descript, not obviously feminine), 2" ankle boots, earring studs, silver watch and painted nails ... not to mention long hair in a feeble attempt at a style. So there was no way that I could be seen as anything other then TG to some degree. Looking back I would never have imagined, even a few months ago, that I would be dressing (and acting) in a (hopefully) female way at work and in real life. I think I am constantly pushing the boundaries now and there is little that I can do now without taking some fairly big steps.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

2" boots, earrings, long styled hair, tight girl jeans and a blouse... how exactly does that scream Tranny? Seems to me that you were presenting yourself as a woman, and thus should be treated as such. Idiots like your mystery yeller are just that - idiots. I would ask "What would their mothers think if they knew how rude their children were" - but then I've seen their mothers participate in the giggling and pointing, so I know exactly where the assinine behavior originates. So, I guess I'll just fall back on my favorite bumpers sticker: "Mean people suck" and "Stupid should hurt", and just say congrats on not completely falling apart from this unpleasant experience. You did yourself proud girl!!

Jess said...

Glad you seem to have let it brush off you, Fiona - so many get upset by this. It happens to me occasionally - I just feel sorry for those whose expressionlal capabilities are such they feel the need to short out "tranny" or "geezer" or similar.