Wednesday 23 April 2008

Hate hair!

Rather personal topic, but I'm talking about body hair here, rather than the, quite wild and unruly variety on my head (which I like and would like even more if it would grow straight, long and in a more interesting colour).

I've been shaving/epilating my legs for well over two years now and there is no way I can ever imagine going back to some hairy-Neanderthal-esque state, the whole idea is just unthinkable. And that's the same opinion I hold concerning hair on my arms as well - I attacked that sometime last year and have been, on the whole hair-free ever since (the only exception being the necessity to grow a certain amount so that the epilator has something to grab onto and rip - no it doesn't really hurt as much as you'd think).

I haven't been using the epilator recently for two reasons; one, I was letting my legs recover a bit from the punishment and assault of in-growing hairs (yuck, ouch, and similar) and two, the torture equipment is packed away awaiting the freedom of the flat. So this means that any other errant hairs have to be dealt with using razor alone and this isn't very permanent.

So this morning, while driving in to work I noticed some hairs that I'd missed and I actually felt quite a strong revulsion to what I saw. I really was quite upset by the idea that there were, what I'd consider, "male" hair still existing on my body. I'm not sure how to describe it any better than that, it was just wrong, and I didn't want it.

I really was quite surprised at how much this bothered me. I'm quite use to looking in the mirror or at myself generally and not been too happy with what's there, but that's a kind of low-level, constant dissatisfaction and dislike which I'd always assumed was more about a concious desire to look better/different rather than a deep-seated psychological issue.

I think I'm going to start making a list of things I don't like and what I want to be changed, then at least I know what I'm aiming for.

No comments: