Saturday 28 March 2009

The Scottish Play

I went to see MacBeth at the Royal Exchange in Manchester this afternoon, Kim was going along and suggested (since I was not seeing my son this weekend) that I might like to come along. Tickets were for the front row and there were hints from Kim that this might be a risky location given the amount of fake blood involved in the play! Hmmm, wasn't sure about that, sounded like it might be a bit scary.

And it was, but not in a bad way. It was very intense, modern, thought-provoking, and thoroughly enjoyable (that's maybe not the right word given the subject matter). I've never read any Shakespear (didn't do it at school), nor seen it performed before, and I had to admit I found the dialog hard to understand at first but it gradually got easier and didn't really detract from my understanding of what was going on.

The performances were very powerful and it was easy to get totally engrossed in what was going on. All this in a circular area of, essentially, floor - there is no raised stage and the audience sits around the space in which the actors perform with them running on and off, actually past where our seats were. Everyone actually seemed really tall from our vantage point which made it even more intense.

I don't think I have the words to describe how good I thought it all was or to even try and convey what was going on but I'm so glad I went! Gave me lots to think about and would HIGHLY recommend you go see it!

No comments: