Monday 20 October 2008

Talked to my Dad

But only for a few seconds.

I phoned home on Saturday and for the first time in a long while it was my Dad the answered the phone (my Mum was ill - nasty cold - so she didn't reach the phone first). We didn't really have a conversation or anything but I think we exchanged the usual "How are you?", "Fine, how are you" lines and then I was handed over to talk to my Mum.

My Dad actually sounded well and quite cheerful, certainly less evasive and guarded then when I talked to him several months ago. It was really nice to hear his voice and it made me realise how much I've missed 'normality'.

It did take me back a few months - I can associate lots of things with certain points in time and being reminded of one brings back the memories of the others - which was a bit confusing but it was still nice in some ways to feel I had both parents that I could talk to.

Maybe there is a little light at the end of the tunnel.

No comments: